2019 Project Clean Stream Internship (Part-Time) Position Description
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay seeks an enthusiastic and creative person to join us as a part-time Project Clean Stream Intern 15-20 hours per week, March 1- July 15, 2019. Timing, location, and schedule is flexible.
About the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional non-profit organization headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland. For over 47 years, the Alliance has been committed to improving water quality throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed through partnerships across sectors, inclusion of a diversity of voices at the table, and helping building capacity for action on the ground for cleaner water. With almost five decades of experience, we still believe that the best results come from bringing people together to find common ground, and working to deploy “boots on the ground” in order to bring clean water projects to fruition. Building partnerships is in our DNA. The Alliance remains highly effective in forming collaborative efforts that successfully support local governments, watershed and conservation groups, community organizations, residents, and businesses, in their efforts to improve water quality in local rivers and streams of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
About the Position:
This position will coordinate our Project Clean Stream program (PCS). Through PCS, the Alliance offers hands-on opportunities through our partnership with residents, local businesses, environmental organizations, local governments, community groups, houses of worship, schools and universities, to come together to take action to restore clean waters to local waterways. Through PCS cleanups, volunteers have the opportunity to pick-up trash in their communities, discover how their everyday decisions affect the overall health of their local waterways, and ultimately foster a healthier and more sustainable relationship with the Chesapeake.
Primary Job Duties:
- Answer questions about and help partners register clean-ups through the PCS database app: https://pg-cloud.com/ACB
- Assist partners on the phone and via email
- Purchase clean-up supplies, including gloves, first aid equipment, signage, and trash bags as needed
- Deliver and arrange pick-up locations for supplies
- Attend and coordinate clean-up events
- Train clean-up teams throughout the watershed
- Connect individuals, small groups, clean-up coordinators, businesses, and local governments
- Represent the Alliance throughout the watershed at field events and meetings
- Export, retrieve, and compile PCS results
- Partner with City/County/Municipal/Bureau of Highways entities to get assistance with trash removal from PCS events
- Occasional weekend travel and event work is required
Ideal Qualifications & Experience:
- A commitment to the health of the Chesapeake Bay watershed and interest or experience in environmental stewardship
- Ability to multi-task and strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively as part of a team and independently
- Responsive and customer service focused
- Proficiency with social media platforms, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel)
- Working with volunteers and non-profit experience a plus
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious, and political beliefs.
The Alliance offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Location : The PCS Coordinator will be based at the Alliance Headquarters in Annapolis, Maryland. The office location is flexible and travel will occasionally be required.
Supervision: The PCS Coordinator reports to the Alliance Business Partnerships Manager.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship. The Alliance will work with a student and school if credits are desired through an internship program. Travel reimbursement will be made when the PCS Coordinator works outside of the designated office
For more info and to apply, please email Corinne Stephens, Business Partnerships Manager, email@example.com. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references at the time of application.
The Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer, visit our website at allianceforthebay.org