Position Announcement: Development and Executive Assistant
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring together individuals, organizations, businesses, and governments to find collaborative solutions, to build a strong commitment to stewardship, and to deliver innovative, broadly-supported programs that benefit the land, waters and residents of the Chesapeake Bay. The Alliance implements local programs that connect people to their local river and become directly involved in local restoration efforts. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA.
The Development and Executive Assistant is a highly motivated, organized, flexible, creative-thinker who coordinates a variety of internal and external events, supports the Executive Director in their duties, assists in development responsibilities and provides general facilities management. The Development and Executive Assistant collaborates with the Executive Director, Development Director, Program Directors, Communications Manager and Alliance Staff as well as the Alliance’s Board of Directors Development Committee. This person plays a critical role in creating or assisting in the creation of important internal and external events in order to build visibility, unrestricted funding, and internal team relationships.
Development and Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
- Coordinate logistics for quarterly Board meetings and Board happy hours, with direction from the Executive Director.
- Take minutes during each Board meeting and work with the Board Secretary to finalize and circulate for approval.
- Maintain the Board portal on the Alliance website with key information relative to the Board and quarterly meetings.
- Keep Board-related records and materials up to date, such as Board letterhead, Board affiliation list, and Board bios on the Alliance website.
- Provide support for Board and Committee chairs, including Board communication, including making meeting and occasional travel arrangements for Board members.
- Assist in scheduling meetings, travel arrangements, managing calendars, and other administrative duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Event Planning Responsibilities:
- Oversee event coordination for both internal and external events, including but not limited to, the Taste of the Chesapeake (Taste) annual fundraiser, regional fundraising events, Board meetings, annual organization staff retreat, Alliance holiday party, donor appreciation events, etc.
- Provide support to regional staff who are planning events for programming, fundraising, Board members, donors, or staff.
- Provide leadership for planning the annual Taste event. This position will work with the Development Director to align fundraising goals and event planning details. Work with the finance team to create a budget, track income and expenses to report to the Development Director.
- Oversee day-of Taste set-up, including coordinating and training volunteers and staff, lead silent auction set-up as well as post-auction and raffle check out.
- Maintain guest lists, prepare name tags for events such as the Taste of the Chesapeake.
- Oversee outreach for the Taste silent auction requests and donors.
- Coordinate and implement the mailing of donor acknowledgment letters, sponsorship acknowledgment letters, annual appeal mailings and other mailings as needed.
- Coordinate the printing and distribution of Alliance fundraising appeals and other mass mailings under the direction of the Development Director. Responsibilities include creating a mailing list from Salesforce, getting quotes, proofs and print schedules from a printer, and coordinating bulk mailing with the Post Office or other mail houses.
- Maintain Salesforce donor tracking software system, including entering new donor data, contacts, other miscellaneous information and develop donor-related reports from the system.
- Create invoices for sponsors, confirm sponsor commitments for the Taste; send thank you letters to sponsors; prepare thank you cards for donors, sponsors and others.
- Create and maintain a mailing list of VIPs, long-term donors and elected officials (with direction from the Executive Director and Development Director).
- Research grants that benefit Development and Fundraising to present to Development Director.
- Coordinate annual Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) applications, such as Earthshare, Benefit for Good, review donations and send acknowledgments as requested.
- Coordinate the ordering of promotional materials, with direction from the Communications Manager, such as business cards, brochures, giveaways and other promotional materials.
Office and Facilities Management:
- Coordinate and oversee building maintenance and upgrades. Address any building issues with landlord. Address issues with tenants.
- In conjunction with the finance department, coordinate facilities contracts and services – i.e., cleaning services, lawn maintenance, trash and recycling services
- Receive and distribute mail.
- Prepare check log for finance.
- Ensure office supplies are ordered and stocked.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to coordinate the logistics of multiple events simultaneously.
- Strong customer service, oral and written communication skills are a must.
- Possess a strong work ethic and flexibility to pivot in high-pressure situations.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in Salesforce or similar platforms a plus.
Working at the Alliance:
This full-time (40 hour/week) position with some evening and/or weekend work required depending on established project deliverables.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family and dog friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The Development and Executive Assistant works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and Development Director.
Hours and Location: The Development and Executive Assistant will be based at the Alliance’s Headquarters in Annapolis, Maryland. Occasional night and weekend work is required. Travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed is needed at times. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week).
Salary: $40,000+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email your cover letter, resume, and list of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, August 16, 2019. Indicate Development and Executive Assistant and your name in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.