DC Projects Associate
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose vision is clean streams and rivers flowing through resilient landscapes, cared for by the people who live, work, and play in the Chesapeake Bay watershed; and whose mission is to bring together communities, companies, and conservationists to improve our lands and waters. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA. Staff in the DC office focus on implementing our programs (green infrastructure, forests, agriculture, stewardship & engagement) within the District of Columbia and across the DC metropolitan region.
The DC Projects Associate job is a full-time position working under supervision of the DC Regional Director, with additional guidance provided by Project Managers working in the DC region. The position will assist in programmatic work and will also support the DC Regional Director in efforts related to the Alliance’s internal communications and development teams. The successful candidate should have strong organizational skills, a basic understanding of water quality and land use issues affecting the Chesapeake Bay watershed and excellent written and oral communication skills. The ability to form strong relationships and work in partnership with a variety of audiences is essential. The Alliance seeks a candidate that demonstrates creativity and foresight in implementing their tasks, with the ability to work on numerous projects simultaneously. Administrative responsibilities, customer service, event coordination, written communications, networking, development, and resource creation will be required. While the position will assist with existing programs, the Alliance seeks out applicants who will excel in developing innovative solutions, partnerships, and projects of their own.
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Provide administrative and homeowner/partner/funder communication support across multiple projects.
- Support project implementation, which may include assisting with the review of project designs, associated application forms and other paperwork, sitework facilitation and inspections.
- Assist in project data tracking, scheduling, and invoicing.
- Create digital and print communications materials associated with a wide range of environmental/restoration oriented projects catered toward diverse audiences.
- Facilitate education and outreach efforts for multiple Alliance program areas through multiple means of communications such as emails, presentations, and workshops.
- Assist with content creation and delivery across various media outlets such as newsletter additions, blog posts, news articles, social media posts, and short blurbs.
- Support region development and fundraising efforts to create a stronger donor base in the DC metropolitan region.
- Encourage and engage in new and robust business partnerships, grant opportunities, and other means broadening the Alliance’s impact across the DC metropolitan region.
- As appropriate, participate in internal teams catered toward planning broader organization-wide program, development, and/or communications work.
- Manage office administrative tasks and other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, communications, public relations or other relevant field.
- 1+ year relevant professional experience (an advanced degree in a relevant field may substitute for one year of professional experience).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including experience writing newsletters, press releases, articles, or other outreach materials.
- Basic understanding of environmental issues related to local waterways and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Quick learner, well-organized, possess strong attention to detail, and have excellent time management skills
- Experience in fundraising, event planning, or other development activities is a plus.
- Knowledge of green infrastructure residential best management practices (rain gardens, rain barrels, permeable pavers, and conservation landscaping) is a plus.
- Professional experience in social media, website design, and other outreach platforms is a plus.
- Software proficiency desired: Google Drive Suite, basic Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery. The Alliance believes a broad base of participation and partners reflecting all of society is needed to be successful in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed restoration effort. Visit www.allianceforthebay.org/DEI to learn more.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The DC Projects Associate will report directly to the DC Regional Director.
Hours and Location: The DC Projects Associate will be based at the Alliance’s Washington DC Office with some ability to work from home. Some night and weekend work may be required. Travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed is needed at times. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week). Please note that Alliance facilities are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and this position will work remotely until further notice.
Salary: $42,500+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email your cover letter, résumé, and list of 2 professional references (including the skills in which they may reference) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday, October 29, 2020. Indicate “DC Projects Associate” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.