Chesapeake Forests Program Intern
INTERNSHIP POSITION DESCRIPTION
Chesapeake Forests Program Intern (VA Office)
Title: Chesapeake Forests Program Intern (VA Office)
Hours: 10 hours per week
Duration: 3-6 months, or until school requirements are satisfied
Location: 612 Hull St, Suite 101C, Richmond, VA 23224
Contact: Jenny McGarvey email@example.com (804) 977-1657
Stipend: $400 per month.
To apply: Please submit a resume and attached application to Jenny McGarvey by August 3rd, 2018.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring together individuals, organizations, businesses, and governments to find collaborative solutions, to build a strong commitment to stewardship, and to deliver innovative, broadly-supported programs that benefit the land, waters and residents of the Chesapeake Bay. The Alliance implements local programs that connect people to their local river and become directly involved in local restoration efforts. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, and Richmond, VA.
The Chesapeake Forests Program Intern will be based in the Richmond office and focus primarily on supporting program staff in the Chesapeake Forest Program. The Chesapeake Forest program staff develop and implement programs that improve the health of existing forests, create new forests in places important to Chesapeake residents, and communicate the benefits of forests to residents, governments and businesses. Based in Richmond, the intern will support forest program efforts for across the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. The intern will support staff primarily in the management of the Alliance’s forest landowner outreach program, Forests for the Bay (https://www.forestsforthebay.org).
- Assist with online/social media communications, article writing to promote programs, and website development and maintenance.
- Support staff in curating and sending out monthly Forests for the Bay newsletter.
- Assist in preparation and attend outreach and volunteer events. Outreach may include tabling events, door-to-door canvasing, tree plantings, invasive plant pulling, and riparian forest buffer maintenance.
- Assist in basic office duties and preparation.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Possess a strong work and environmental ethic, and a strong interest in outreach and education.
- Good writing abilities and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress blogs.
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Background in forestry, forest ecology, forest management, and/or wildlife management preferred.
The office is open Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 5:00 pm. Work hours may be flexible within this schedule in agreement with the supervisor. Some after-hours, weekend work, and day trips may be required.
A minimum of 10 hours per week are expected for this position. The position agreement is for three to six months or until school requirements are satisfied. The commitment may extend depended on the needs of the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay and the performance of the intern.
Supervision and Support Plan
The supervisor for this intern position is Jenny McGarvey. The intern will attend weekly staff meetings to report on progress of assigned duties.
- Opportunity to learn new skills in outreach and communication
- Reference for employment or academic purposes, dependent on satisfactory performance
- Opportunity to make professional contacts in a regional organization
- Opportunity to contribute toward the mission of the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- Opportunity to attend the Chesapeake Watershed Forum (November 2-4, 2018)
Start and End Dates
The internship may start on a rolling basis beginning in September 2018 through December 2018. Start and end dates are flexible.