Every year, tens of thousands of volunteers come together to pick up trash from local streams, creeks, rivers, parks, and neighborhoods as part of the Alliance’s Project Clean Stream! We provide supplies for cleanups anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay watershed (all 6 Bay states and the District).
Through Project Clean Stream, the Alliance offers hands-on opportunities through our partnership with residents, local businesses, environmental organizations, local governments, community groups, houses of worship, schools and universities, to come together to take action to restore clean waters to local streams, creeks, and rivers. Volunteers have the opportunity to pick-up trash in their communities, discover how their everyday decisions affect the overall health of their local waterways, and ultimately foster a healthier and more sustainable relationship with the Chesapeake.
The Alliance works with site captains to coordinate local cleanup events, and provides cleanup supplies such as trash bags and gloves.
SAFETY GUIDELINES for 2020 Project Clean Stream:
- The Alliance recommends that cleanup events remain relatively small, with no more than 25 individuals, even if more are allowed by state or local regulations. Please follow your local jurisdictions restrictions.
- If your site is in a highly populated or traveled area, please schedule the cleanup during non-peak hours.
- The Alliance will be hosting “pick-up” dates for site captains to retrieve their supplies in Annapolis, MD. Please click here to see a list of dates and times for supply pick-up, and sign up for a time slot that works for you. Alliance employees handing out supplies will remain outside, wearing a mask, and maintain a physical distance. If none of these dates or times work, please contact Lucy Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are moving our volunteer waiver online, so that volunteers will be able to complete the waiver in advance of the cleanup. This is a document provided every year, and has historically been distributed in paper form at the cleanup events. We also ask Site Captains to complete this forms, and ask volunteers to submit the completed form at their earliest convenience.
- As a reminder, if you have not already done so, please fill out the information about your clean up event here at your earliest convenience.